The path less travelled....
The Rose & Crown is privately owned by the Robinson family who have farmed in Teesdale for four generations. Thomas Robinson and particularly his wife, Cheryl, take an active role in the day-to-day running of the Rose & Crown along with a great team of predominantly local staff who all play a key role in the high quality yet relaxed style of service offered.
Since purchasing the Rose & Crown in late 2012 there has been continual investment in both the front house and back house facilities with an emphasis on using local suppliers and trades. The style of interior improvements aims to balance the traditional feel of a country inn with contemporary touches but above all else the goal is to provide a place that customers find comfortable, relaxing and enjoyable.
The Robinson family also own and run Headlam Hall which is located 15 miles down the dale from Romaldkirk.
A 'Green' Approach
Environmental concerns are very much at the front of peoples minds today and rightly so. When you see documentaries or read articles about the human impact on the world in which we live it is quite alarming and the resulting suffering of wildlife is what really brings it home. As a business we are constantly looking at what we do and asking if we can make positive changes. For a number of years we have been improving energy efficiency such as LED lighting, segregating our waste for recycling, using local suppliers to minimise delivery miles and looking at the green credentials of the companies that we use.
The plastics issue is a huge one to tackle and to do our bit we have implemented measures such as;
- Replacing single use small plastic MB bathroom products with refillable containers
- Sourcing our coffee from a local roaster (2 miles away!) which is packaged in paper bags
- Using Kilner jars and fresh milk for bedroom tea/coffee trays thus avoiding horrible small plastic packs
- Replacing plastic bedroom pens with wooden pencils
- Using glass returnable milk bottles instead of plastic cartons
- Having our own in-house water bottling system with refillable glass bottles
- Changing plastic straws for paper ones and only when asked for
- Offering complimentary refilling of water bottles
- A general policy to avoid single use plasticf products or excessive plastic packaging
- Any other suggestions always welcome!
We also have an electric car charger that is available on a complimentary basis to all guests staying overnight at the Rose & Crown.